Today I am sharing a very popular Chinese dish. It is a classic from Szechuan cuisine from aprovince called Sichwan in Central western China.This dish is primally made with Sichwan Peppercorn and Shaoxing wine( fermented rice Wine). As it happens to many dishs this one is also westernied a lot.
The original recipe calls for flash frying of the meat and vegetables in a wok.However the dish is very popular in US and very Americanized.Here in US they add zucchini,chestnuts and the sweet.
Boneless & skinless chicken breast -1 1/2(or 3 boneless & skinless chicken thigh meat)
Roasted peanuts - 3 tbsp
Dried red chilies - 8-12 nos( to tone down the spiceness you can deseed the chillies)
Oil- 3 tbsp
Fresh ginger- A small piece sliced
Garlic sliced -3 -4 cloves
Spring onions/scallions - 2 nos
For the marinate:
Corn starch - 1 tbsp
Soy sauce- 2 tsp
Shaoxing wine(chinese cooking wine) - 1 tbsp
1 teaspoon oil
For the sauce:
light soy sauce - 11/2 tsp
Dark soy sauce - 1 tsp
Sugar - 1tsp
Vinegar - 1 tsp
Corn starch - 1 tsp
- Cut the chicken meat into small cubes, rinse in water, pat dry with paper towels and marinate with the ingredients above for 30 minutes.
- Mix the sauce ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- Heat up a wok with one tablespoon cooking oil and stir-fry the marinated chicken until they are 70% cook. Remove for pan set aside
- Clean the wok and add in the remaining 2 tablespoons of cooking oil until it smokes.
- Add in the ginger and garlic slices and do a quick stir before adding in the dried red chilies.
- Stir fry the dried red chilies until aromatic and they smell spicy, then add in the chicken meat.
- Do a quick stir before adding in the roasted peanuts and continue to stir a few times.
- Add in the sauce and stir continuously until the chicken meat is nicely coated with the sauce.
- Add in the chopped scallions and stir evenly.Check for seasoning
- Remove from fire and serve hot with chowmein or fried rice.